Summertime and lemon…do ya know of any better combo? (Whispers quietly, actually lemon any day of the year always hits the spot for me 😉 ). And now we have lucious blueberries in season so we get homegrown stuff which makes it all even better and tastier…ahhhhhhh
Plus, found out I need to improve my hand at ‘swirling’ things into cake. Read on to see how mine came out and promise not to laugh 🙂
Ok, enough talk let’s bake.
For this, you’ll need:
- 200g Pure Sunflower spread
- 200g golden granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- Zest and juice of 2 unwaxed lemons
- 200g Self-raising flour
- 100g Plain flour
- 400g blueberries (use 250g to make the blueberry coulis using recipes here or here. and the rest to top the cake before baking)
- For lemon syrup:
- Juice of 2 lemons plus 2 TBsp of caster sugar
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy,
- Add the eggs one at a time together with the lemon zest and beat till well combined,
- Fold in half the flour with half the lemon juice and carry on till all flour and juice are used up,
- Add the coilis and swirl into your batter
- Pour into your baking tin and cook in a 180 degress oven for 55 minutes.
- When out of the oven, allow to cool for about 5 minutes and then poke holes all ober the cake with a skewer and pour your lemon syrup over the top sprinkling with some crunchy sugar.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Turn out and devour cut into slices and serve to your guests.