First of all, excuse the quality of the pictures here. I only decided this will be fab to share when I was in the middle of making the cake so had to use ‘zee phone….but not bad ehh?.
I had some sisters come over with their babies about 2 weeks ago and yet again it fell on me to do the dessert…surprised? Yeah me too 😉 :-D. I wanted to make some’in cozy and warm and spicy and Autumn-like and thought, apples just scream Autumn!, don’t they? So I decided to go for it. Here we have a spicy apple cake, packed full of apples with a generous hazelnut top. The hazelnut top was an inspiration from a BBC good food on their Apple Cake in a nutshell shell recipe. A really good recipe that.
Warning: This cake is seriously nutty, light, delicious and just fills your mouth with spices that remind you of Christmas. A bit too yummy that I didn’t get to take the picture of a proper piece until I got to the very last one in the tin.
There is a seeded version of this (for those allergic to nuts) at the bottom of the
cake page so keep reading :-).
Yuuummmmmmmmm mmmm mmmm, ok here we go!
To make, you’ll need:
- 4 sweet apples (peeled and cored)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 100g roughly chopped hazelnuts (60g roasted and 40g natural)
- 225 g Pure Sunflower spread
- 160 g sugar (half light muscavado and half golden caster)
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla bean extract
- 350 g self-raising flour
- 1ts p baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- Slice one of the apple into half moons and spinkle a tsp of cater sugarto be arranged “neatly” on top of the cake before baking.
- Chop the remaining apples into small chunks and pour the lemon juice over them together with sugar and cinnamon (1 tbsp of each). Mix with a spatula and set aside.
- Whist the spices and baking powder into the flour and set aside
- Now, in a mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the remaining sugar and spread until well combined. You don’t need to beat for long here, it’s not a creaming method cake so just a few minutes will do.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and spiced flour and give it a good mix.
- Now add the chopped cinnamon ‘n’ lemon-y apple chunks and roasted hazelnuts into the batter and fold in on low speed for about 1 minute.
- Pour into your prepared 9″ cake tin and arrange the apple half moons on top of the batter, finishing off with a sprinkling of the natural hazelnuts. Press the nuts down a little so they stick to the batter.
- Aaaaand bake! in a 180°C preheated oven for 1hr or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Wait to cool, turn out and serve.
Oooooor if you’re like me, serve immediately out of the oven because my calculations for ETA of guests was way off which meant turning out neatly was not an option so we had to eat from the tin. But it tasted damn gooooooood! :-*
Last week we went to see another sister of ours and decided to make this cake for her but she’s allergic to nuts so I made a nut free version instead with Sunflower and Pumpkin seeds. Here, everything stays the same except that you will need to replace the 100g of hazelnuts with 100g of a mix of the seeds. Again you roast half to go into the cake batter itself and the rest to go on top of the cake. Enjoy y’all.