For the Chinese experience, mademoiselle?. “I’ll have Chinese mushrooms and soy sauce, thank you”. And for the Thai? mmmmmm “Coconut milk and chilli please, merci beaucoup”. For one of those nights when you want the heat of Thai food with a chinese twist and this one did it for me. Plus the fact that I have fallen head over heels in love with Chinese mushrooms had everything to do with this. Cook it and you’ll feel what I mean.
You’ll need the following for 4 people:
- 145 g Soba Noodles
- 200 g asparagus spears
- 200 g spinach
- 200 g Chinese mushrooms
- 125 g baby corn (cut lengthwise)
- 3 spring onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 100 ml coconut cream mixed with 1 tsp of vegetable bouillon
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 tsp hot chilli (or half, if this amount is too much for you)
- Salt to your liking
- Lightly oil a frying pan and heat
- Add the asparagus plus some salt
- Turn up the heat on high tossing and turning the spears until they become tender and start to brown (this should take approximately 8 mins)
- Set aside
For the Spinach
- Melt knob of butter in a pan on low-medium heat
- Add 1 of the spring onions and fry until soft
- Add the spinach, cover and let it wilt
- Then stir in 1TBsp of the coconut cream
- Let cook for about 5 mins.
- Salt and pepper to your liking
- Set aside
For the Soba noodles:
- Put about a litre of water on a pan and bring to the boil
- Add the noodles and cook for 5 mins exactly. Remove from the heat and drain in a colander
- Run the noodles under cold water to stop cooking and set aside to continue draining
- Meanwhile, heat a glug of olive oil in a pan then add the rest of the spring onions and fry off a little
- In goes your Chinese mushrooms together with the soy sauce and coconut milk. Cook for about 5 mins or until mushrooms are nice and soft.
- Add the corn, red pepper and cook until the veggies are done but still crunchy.
- Finally add the noodles and mix it all together. Let cook for another minute or so and et voilà! Done
Note: no need to add salt here as the soy sauce is a salty little thing.
- Assemble as shown in the picture above starting by placing the asparagus spears first, then the noodles, topping it all off with a ball of spinach. The spinach really makes the taste of this dish come together for me but if you’re not a fan of spinach then you can skip that and assemble as shown below. Enjoy enjoy