I woke up today thinking cous-cous! Cous-cooooooous! Luckily I had some in the cupboard so I decided I was gonna have that for dinner today. I knew I wanted to make it interesting and fresh and fun but didn’t know how. I started anyway and thanks to the universe some fresh and funky ideas started to flow and here they are my dears.
You’ll need the following for 4 peeps:
- 1 cup (250g) couscous
- 2 fresh juicy tomatoes (chopped)
- 250 g mushrooms (sliced)
- I medium onion (chopped)
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to your liking
- 1 Vegetable bouillon/ stock
- 1/4 litre water
- Handfull of basil chopped
- 4 boiled eggs however you like it (hard, medium, runny is all good)
And to garnish:
- 2 tomatoes cut in half and sliced into thin segments
- 2 or 3 leaves of fresh torn basil
- Put olive oil and onions and a little salt in a pan and heat until the onions start to sweat,
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes become tender and the juices are somewhat reduced (about 10 mins)
- Now add the chopped mushrooms, cover and simmer for about 5mins or until you see the mushrooms are giving us some of their lovely mushroom juice
- Now add the veggie stock and water and cook for another 10mins until it all comes together to reduce into a tomato mushroom juice.
- Turn off the heat
- Add the couscous to the mixture, stir to mix everything and cover to let it all meld together
- And that’s it.
If you have a fancy food mould, you can assemble your dinner as in the picture by
- Putting the egg into the mould first on your serving plate
- Filling it with couscous all around it and above it so the egg is hidden inside
- Slowly and carefully un-mould and garnish as shown
If you don’t have a mould don’t fret,
You can just scoop your couscous onto your plate and place the egg in the centre
And arrange the tomatoes as usual and it’ll still be just as tasty!
Have fun guys! and it’s goodnight from me